COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE
Doug has extensive experience representing land owners, developers, landlords, tenants, lenders, and borrowers in commercial real estate matters and related litigation, including the following:
- Planning & zoning
- Drafting and negotiating ground leases, design-build leases, and commercial leases for shopping centers, malls, retail spaces, and office buildings
- Commercial real estate purchases and sales
- Commercial real estate loans
- Industrial acquisitions
- Residential and commercial developments
- Residential and commercial associations for neighborhoods, shopping centers, and condominiums
- Litigation of boundary disputes, lease disputes, and spite strips
- Drafting and negotiating construction contracts and AIA documents
Doug is a sought-after speaker on Kentucky real estate law topics, having presented numerous seminars at the University of Kentucky Biennial Real Estate Law Institute since 1989, and having served as the Institute’s Chair and Moderator since 2008. Doug is also a frequent speaker and planning committee member for the annual Kentucky Commercial Real Estate Conference in Louisville, Kentucky. Doug is the author of chapters on condominiums, government real estate finance, and choice of entity law in the Kentucky Real Estate Law & Practice Handbook, published by the University of Kentucky College of Law.
- Negotiating and drafting of a lease-purchase agreement for a large university dormitory project.
- Negotiating and drafting of a ground lease for a convenience service station.
- Negotiating and documentation of the lease, purchase, and re-sale of a community hospital.
- Creation of a medical office building condominium development on behalf of a Kentucky healthcare provider.
- Negotiating and documenting the acquisition of a regional shopping mall.
- Creation of condominium developments for residential patio homes, medical office buildings, apartment complexes, and commercial / retail centers.
- Negotiating and drafting leases and reciprocal easements for retail malls and shopping centers.
- Negotiating and drafting documents for numerous acquisitions of commercial real estate.
- Representing clients in other commercial real estate matters, including development, planning & zoning, surety bonds, construction agreements, like-kind exchanges, and environmental investigations and compliance.