Doug represents developers and owners associations in creating and restructuring associations and restrictive covenants for residential neighborhoods, residential condominiums, commercial condominiums, and multi-phase commercial developments. These projects may involve drafting and negotiating a range of documents and providing other legal services:
- Articles of incorporation
- Covenants and restrictions
- Master deeds and declarations of condominium
- Corporate minutes for organizational, annual, and special meetings
- Appearances at association meetings
- Review and update of corporate records and restrictive covenants
- Enforcement of restrictive covenants and dues
- Court challenges to illegal restrictive covenants
Doug is the author of “Condominiums & Homeowners Associations,” Chapter 26, Kentucky Real Estate Practice Handbook (UK CLE, 2013). In addition to serving as the president of the Beaumont Residential Association, Doug also worked on behalf of many Lexington neighborhood associations while serving as the 10th District Representative to the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Council.
- Revising and correcting recorded floor plans and master deed for a commercial association.
- Holding annual meetings and drafting resolutions and minutes for directors and members for associations failing to observe corporate formalities.
- Overhaul of defective condominium master deed and organizational documents for retail strip center.
- Update of corporate records and drafting and negotiating new bylaws and covenants for neighborhood associations.
- Drafting and negotiation of articles of incorporation, bylaws, master deed and declaration of condominium, restrictive covenants, and other organizational documents for a patio home condominium community, a medical office complex, a commercial-industrial center, and an apartment building conversion.
- Drafting of articles of incorporation, bylaws, restrictive covenants, and other corporate documents for the development of residential neighborhoods and multi-phase commercial developments.
- Represented adjacent farm owner to defeat unlawful neighborhood covenants that restricted access from a platted neighborhood roadway to adjacent farm.